Sunday, April 20, 2014

Sunday Funday

It always amazes me how many hours it takes to prepare my home and the food to serve when a holiday arrives and the family gathers.  OK well what amazes me is not just the time it takes to prepare but the contrast of the prep time to the time of the actual gathering.  A day for picking up the groceries and cleaning house.  Hours of food prep.  Luckily, I made a Turkey which does a lot of sitting around first in the brine and then in the oven.   That leaves plenty of time to set the table and conduct the final clean sweep...you know, that dog hair that just keeps on appearing.
 
The guests began to arrive just before 2pm to enjoy some appetizer. Not everyone can appreciate chopped liver but cousin Ronnie makes it so well and I love it. My 84 year old mother prepared a delicious Matzo ball soup that we served at about 3, then the main meal, side dishes contributed by sister and mother in law, and finally the desserts also provided by the guests.  Those chocolate covered strawberries made by my niece were just YUMMY.  Seems like everyone puts in there time to enjoy the family company.  By 7pm the last guest departed. So approximately 2 or 3 days in prep time and 5 hours to enjoy the group....or I guess I should say, serve the group. 
I wont even get into the after the gathering clean up.
I love my family and the days it takes to prepare for a gathering of 12 is well worth the hours I get to enjoy them.

No comments:

Post a Comment